Er ofte ordene: AND, BUT, OR, FOR.
sammenføjer sætninger og sætningsdele. F.eks.:
- Tobias ran with the ball AND Carina ran after him.
- We were alle tired BUT still wanted to watch TV.
- He said THAT he would stay.
Sideordnende konjunktioner forbinder samme slags sætninger. f.eks.:
- Dick cried AND/BUT Tom laughed.
- Yvonne said she was happy AND wanted to stay.
Underordnede konjunktioner indleder bisætninger.
Er ofte ordene: THAT, IF, WETHER, WHEN, AS, AS LONG AS, AS SOON AS, BEFORE, TILL, UNTILL, ONCE, WHILE, SINCE, PROVIDE, SUPPOSE, UNLESS, ALTHOUGH, EVEN IF, WHILE.
- Mick said THAT he wanted tea.
- I wonder IF you could help her.
- WETHER it helps we do not know.
- It is good AS LONG AS it holds the tent up.
- She will be here AS SOON AS possible.
- It will be long BEFORE it comes true.
- It will not function UNTILL we work it out.
- He will be well ONCE he is at hospital.